Thursday, January 10, 2008

Don't we learn?

Following politics is proving to be a great way to increase my stress levels.

If nothing else, these last 7 years should have taught Americans that who we elect to office does matter. I think if something matters, then you should give your decision some thought. I feel like I'm in the minority.

In 2000, we kept hearing that people liked Bush (and were therefore going to vote for him) because he seemed more likable than Al Gore. The phrase tossed around at the time was that W was the guy you would want to invite to your backyard cookout for a beer.

I have lots of friends I like having over to the house for a beer, but I don't want them in the White House so I'm not sure why that became a real reason to vote for someone.

Now people are talking about how Hillary's tearing up played a pivotal role in NH. Are you kidding me? People really changed their opinion on whether or not to vote for Hillary based on that? Clinton has been in the spotlight for 15 years. She's been running for the presidency for 2 years. How can people's opinion of her be changed by a tear?

I certainly understand why people would vote for Hillary, but I don't understand deciding to vote for her because she can get emotional.

The tearing up moment was supposed to be a window into her humanity. What does that really mean? If you didn't like her before, how the heck did that change it?

No comments: