Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Zelig candidate

I realized I didn't do a great job explaining what I think the key is to Romney's appeal to the right wing noise machine: he makes them feel they are being heard.

Access to power is the dream of most pundits. Actually having influence is almost too much to ask for.

Take a look at Romney's platform. This platform could almost have been written by the reactionary pundits that pose as conservatives. By that, I mean Rush, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin and such.

So while Romney seems to listen to them and take their positions, McCain and Huckabee stick to their own philosophies.

It would be one thing if I felt that Romney was sincere, but I do not. YouTube has allowed me to watch too many Romney speeches from his past career to buy what he is selling now. He is like Zelig from the old Woody Allen movie. He morphs into whatever he needs to be in order to fit the situation.

He has packaged himself to be the candidate of the right leaning pundits and got them to spread the word. And even better, they act as his attack dogs.

McCain and Huckabee don't follow all of the orthodoxies, so the pundits don't like them.

I wonder how Romney will govern once he no longer needs them.

No comments: