Friday, January 25, 2008

Hillary's Scorched Earth Tendencies

Hillary's scorched earth tendencies.

Many have known that Hillary has that unique ability to heal the fractures in the GOP. David Frum made that point in the NYT's today. We've seen the poll data that shows how close a general election would be between Hillary and McCain or Romney.

What I never realized until recently is how Hillary is able to divide the Democrats. Over this last week, she and Bill have done a tremendous job of polarizing the Democrats' primary.

We've watched her and Bill lie about Obama's positions, lie about his past associations and so forth. This act has alienated many Democrats and Independents and is red meat for the Republicans.

So the key question is: can Hillary actually win in November with a divided Democrat Party up against a united Republican Party?

If she was running against W, I'd say she could win, but I don't think she can beat McCain or Romney if she continues to destroy her own party.

She needs to get Bill to be an advocate for her and not an attack dog. The former president doesn't need to be playing the role of James Carville. They have James Carville and others for that job. He needs to keep the message positive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's quite an overstatement. Nobody except a handful of vocal Internet Obamaniacs really thinks the campaign has been as nasty as all that. Even Obama himself says the past few weeks of vigorous campaigning have only strengthened him for the general election. Get a grip.

Anonymous said...

I almost feel the damage HRC has done to the Democratic party is irreparable. I have voted Democrat my entire life. If HRC wins, I will vote Republican for the first time in my life. I don't want any Clinton in the White House.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. As an Obama supporter and long-time Democrat, if Clinton gets the nomination, then she will not get my vote in November. I will either write-in a candidate, or vote for McCain or Bloomberg. And it's not just me - dozens of my Democratic friends who are supporting Obama feel the same way.

Great job, Clinton, you've torn apart the Democratic Party when this was our election to lose.

Scott Martin said...

I don't believe that Hillary's done irreparable damage to herself or her party yet. If she drops this scorched earth approach now, this past 10 days will fade quickly. If they continue to lie and divide, then she will become the Republicans' best friend.